A little fun in hand

A little fun in hand
Conversano Sabarita teaching me Piaffe

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Most of my life I have ridden green horses or OTTB's. Lately, I have had the privilige of riding two 25 year old "made" horses. One is a Lipizzaner gelding who used to be a tour horse and the other is a Westphalen gelding who does up to PSG. I want to tell you a little bit about both of them because my experiences with them have brought great joy.

The Lippizzan gelding (Sebastian) is a very stoic guy. I have the feeling he has been subjected to all different levels of abuse during his time as a tour horse, this makes him guarded, aloof, and also extravagant in his nature. From what I understand he was very shut down when he left the tour, and his tranformation over the last few years with his new owner has been nothing short of amazing. The transformation he has made just since I have known him is astounding. When I first saw him all I saw was this old horse with bad conformation. Now that I have gotten to know him, and especially since I began riding him; I have a totally different opinion. If you want to really ride Sebastian, not just sit on him; you have to be prepared to listen. He only responds well to a thinking rider and he has lots of fight left in him for someone who would like to. I decline the fight every time. Either I stand firm in my request of him or I give in to him; and it gets me somewhere good everytime. I love this horse. He has taught me about true classical dressage. I am so grateful to learn from this horse each day.

The Westphalen gelding (Essex) has had a long list of riders who have earned points towards their medals on him. He has a reputation for being heavy in the bridle and not really "rideable" in a snaffle. Typically, he is ridden in a double. I spent last winter getting to know him and about 6 weeks ago I began to ride him in a snaffle. It has been interesting to make him light in the snaffle again and I have had some success. I can now ride him in stretching frame, the bend in my lateral work is better, and his lengthenings and shortenings are very good. I may not be "getting my medals" on him like everyone else, because he is not strong enough to work in complete self carriage for very long, and I am too weak to "hold" him together the way he is accustomed to...but I am learning so much about the true art of collection on this very willing school horse.

I am so blessed to have met these two souls, and between the two of them a half a century of experiences and knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading our blog!